frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't worry, Be happy

Lately I have noticed that a lot of MS bloggers have been writing about living and coping with anxiety (myself included). Since my new year's resolution is focused primarily on dropping my worries, I thought I should post an update for my readers.

I have been feeling much better emotionally since about last Monday. It is possible that my PMS just wore off but it seems I have been doing a few things myself to drop the worrying and to cultivate a positive state of being.

Nothing is perfect but I am embracing the idea that things will work out for me. I guess you could call this faith. My faith is not in some other being but more in myself and in the course of my life. I believe I can and will, be confident again. I believe that in life we generally get what we can bear so in time, I will learn to bear whatever challenges come my way. My confidence has been shaken but I am finding new belief in myself. I can see where I have erred but I can also see what I have accomplished. I realize that I still have the instincts to be a good teacher and to be a good support to other people. I often get emails from other people where they tell me that my blog helps them. This makes me feel good. I prefer to give rather than need but I am learning to accept help.

The second thing that is really helping me out is the idea that every time I confront a challenge or enter a bad or anxious state of mind, I can "press the reset button." To do this, I must be very mindful of my thoughts and emotions. When I notice my mind dwelling in dark places, I need to breath deeply and "reset" my mind. I have realized that a bad start to a day does not have to mean a bad day. An anxious thought needs to be put in its proper place. Whatever makes me anxious can be put onto the back burner until I actually have to deal with it. I also can reduce my anxiety by doing at least one "productive" thing a day.

Today I am thankful for my renewed positivity.

8 comments:

Blindbeard said...

Makes me think of that saying, "One deed does not determine the day." I may not have the correct wording there, but you know what I mean.

Joan said...

Does yoga help with this attitude? I'm still learning about it and am trying to figure out the spiritual side of stretching. I'll try to remember to check back here for a response, or you can just e-mail me at sojourner143@netzero.net.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are definitely on to something. I like the idea of the "Reset button". Sound pretty useful, I know I could make use of one. :)

geet said...

I'm really glad to have found you! I'm the same age as you and was recently diagnosed with MS. I never felt sick before - a bit worn out and i didn't like the vision loss, but after the last batch of tests, I have just been miserable. It's great to find someone whose been there, done that and seems to be doing just fine. Thanks for the inspiration (if that's not too hokey!). Bridgette

Denver Refashionista said...

Joan,yoga does help. We call yoga a "practice." I find controlling my mood and my mind is a practice too. Some days it's easy to feel good but sometimes my thoughts are very dark so the whole idea of a reset button really helps.

Denver Refashionista said...

Serina, maybe I could market it (LOL).

Denver Refashionista said...

Thanks for dropping in Geet. I think it's all about one day at a time.

Lisa Emrich said...

Your blog helps people as do you with all of the support and reassurance you give freely. I hope that the process of giving also helps you too. Thank you for all that you share.