frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hot is better than cold for me...

Not really, but with the Copaxone it is. I heated before I injected and iced after. The aftershock is intense. I realized that the ice was not allowing the medicine to spread well and so the pain would not spread out as quickly as yesterday. Now, I just tried heat instead. It is helping the pain. Yesterday did not hurt as much. I must not have hit as good a spot today. My hands have been a bit inflamed and I think it slowed down the speed of my injection. Maybe I will try the auto-injector... I kind of like watching myself shove the needle and plunger into my arm ( I know I'm a weirdo) but maybe the auto-injector would make this easier than trying to get my swollen hands to work well.

I couldn't resist the urge to post that intense poem this morning. As a writer, I look for opportunities in the drama. Mostly, my life is rather mundane, so this gave me something new to write about.

When I injected tonight, I prayed out loud afterward to calm myself. I don't believe in prayer but it is very soothing and I love the sound when I'm nervous. It helped me focus on my breath and something outside the pain. Even now, my arm still hurts. At first, it felt like the area all around the site was pulsing. I imagine, I'll get used to this. I have lost a lot of weight this week due to cutting foods out of my diet because of food allergies. Now, I'm trying to gain a little back. I figure the more fat I have for this, the better...

I ate some hot wings for dinner tonight, after almost eight years as a strict vegetarian. They tasted good but I was really grossed out. I only ate half but I had some fries and celery too so at least I'm fed for now. Hopefully the chicken won't make me ill but I had to experiment at least.

Right now, my life is very chaotic and many things are in flux but despite the challenges, I feel good. I feel positive about myself and the work I have been doing. I feel good about my art, writing and dance. Cutting out foods seems to be helping already. I don't have morning congestion for the first time in years. I also have been migraine-free for three days now.

Today I am grateful for this chance to confront and conquer my fears. I feel empowered.

5 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

Why I didn't think to send this over before now, I don't know. Here are the things which I do that help make injections less painful -

http://www.healthcentral.com/multiple-sclerosis/c/19065/45202/reduced

Yikes, I'm grossed out by chicken wings AND I eat meat.

Denver Refashionista said...

thanks Lisa. I'll check it out.

Heather said...

I looked at the site that Lisa told you to check out. I do ALL of those things for my Rebif. I use the auto injector and I think that is easier for me. One thing I was told to try from MS Life Lines was to use some Anbosol on the area b/f injecting. It might help. I really think for me it's a 50/50 deal. Either the shot will hurt like heck or it won't and I might have awful side effects or feel prefectly fine. It really is no fun. Good luck to you!

Have Myelin? said...

Oh...oh....oh....I so remember going thru Copaxone adjustment hell! It took me awhile to get used to the stinging and then it finally stopped.

It does STOP. I remember those days and I cringe thinking about you suffering thru this.

Every now and then I get a batch that hurts more than another batch (I have to tell you the truth!) but as your body gets used to it you will find that the stinging, burning, etc. subside considerably.

Everyone finds a different way to take their shots. For example I find that taking my Copaxone straight from the refrigerator is less painful. Going in cold feels good! Others don't feel that way. Heat helps them better.

You will have to experiment until you find what works best for you...

Time is the best medicine. I'll be thinking of you.

Denver Refashionista said...

Thanks ladies. I'm finding my way.