frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ahimsa- Love and Peace

"Ahimsa" is a powerful Sanskrit word that one of my teachers has asked me to meditate on for a while. It is one of the "Yamas," a code for ethical living in Yoga. Ahimsa has several connotations and definitions. It means non-harming, non-violence or in my mind, peace. It means "freedom from." This could be freedom from self-judgement, freedom from judging others, freedom from unwanted obligation... Above all, it means love. In celebration of my meditations upon this word, today I offer two things. The first is a quote from B.K.S. Iyengar's "Light on Yoga," and the second is a song I learned at Waldorf school.

Iyengar writes, "Happy is the man who knows how to distinguish the real from the unreal, the eternal from the transient and the good from the pleasant by his dsicrimination and wisdom. Twice blessed is he who knows true love and can love all God's creatures. He who works selflessly for the welfare of others with love in his heart is thrice blessed..."

Now I give you a song of peace:
"Vine and Fig Tree Song"

Every man eat the vine and fig tree
Shall live in peace and unafraid.
Every man eat the vine and fig tree
Shall live in peace and unafraid.

And into plow shares turn their swords
Nations shall make war no more.
And into plow shares turn their swords
Nations shall make war no more.

*The songs then starts over. It can also be sung as a round. I offer these songs because I like to sing them myself at the top of my lungs for several reasons. They give me joy, hope and peace. I also like to imagine that they can somehow help others, like a giant, warm hug in the darkness. I hope you enjoy this song too and that you practice Ahimsa every day :)

No comments: