frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Saturday, February 28, 2009

The best laid plans...

I was all excited to join Joan's chat room yesterday when alas, I was incapacitated by horrific cramps. Go figure... Actually the trouble started shortly after I posted on Wednesday. I felt fine and then at about 2:10 (10 minutes before the end of the day) I started to feel awful. First came the eye strain and headache, then the skull pain and nausea. I took ibuprofin stat but relief did not seem to be in the cards. I napped and still I felt bad. The next morning I awoke nauseated and my headache still hadn't let up. It lasted the whole time I was at work on Thursday. Luckily I was able to cut out a few minutes early to come home and rest before I taught yoga. The rest helped a lot and I felt fine until after teaching. Then the discomfort started again.

Now is the part where I mention that this happens to me every month to varying degrees. The time around my period is very rough. I actually think that whatever happens to me hormonally at this times causes a symptom flare up. I feel like I get inflamed. My joints tend to swell and ache. The numbness in my appendages becomes more pronounced and prolonged. My mood drops and I swear I can feel my brain swelling. Can that really happen? Anyway, my brain starts to feel like it's bulging against my skull and all kinds of other unlovely side effects seem to occur. My vision and balance seem to suffer some and for a few days I usually feel sick most of the time.

This is around the time the cramps start. For a while acupuncture eased these but I have not been going and the cramps are getting worse again. They kept me up on Thurssday night, left me white knuckled during a meeting yesterday and caused me to let out several exclamations in front of my husband last night. I was sort of embarassed to let on but little yelps kept escaping me when they became bad.

Several weeks ago I had planned to go to a job fair today to fine-tune my interview skills in case I wanted to seek advancement for next year but when I awoke the first time this morning, I was doubled over with cramps. I tried to wait it out but they just got worse and the nausea returned. I finally gave in to my body and decided to skip the fair and stay in bed. I didn't get up until almost noon. Overall, I slept about 14 hours and once again that was the charm. I feel a lot better now. Tonight and tomorrow I will also try to get plenty of sleep and hopefully by Monday I'll be back to feeling good again.

Lately it seems like things have been working out for me one way or another although not always as expected. Something tells me I was not really meant to go to the job fair after all. Recently I have been thinking that I need to just work out a great plan for next year with my current district because I have tenure and job security. I think I am on the right track with this thinking given the current economic state and my MS. Perhaps there is something wonderful awaiting me...

Today I am thankful that I can look with peace upon the unexpected and find a silver lining to this change in my plans.

6 comments:

Webster said...

I am very glad that the extra sleep helped take care of those horrendous symptoms you were having. I'm also glad I don't have to worry about that anymore :-). Re: the job fair - there will be others.

Be well.

Unknown said...

so sorry you're feeling bad-but glad to see your spirited responses.My friends at times asked me"what day would you have back if you could" The only answer I can think of is the day before my pain became a tenant. I would have run around the block,stood on my head, and bought a trampoline! With that said, I WILL say I savor any day I'm feeling good.Pain changed me. It did good things and bad things.I am much more empathetic,and introspective.I am also at times short and dismissive with people.I get jealous of others, and yet, it has made me aware of who walks in my door and who walks out.Who loves me, and who tolerates me.I'm forever changed,but I see skills and vision I never would've had as well.-just thought I'd share that with you. Shalom WW.

Lisa Emrich said...

Sorry that this happens to you every month now. I wonder if some type of hormone therapy would help. Or a change in therapy if you are using birth control pills. Just a brainstorming idea. Glad that sleeping helps though.

Denver Refashionista said...

Thanks Webster.

Denver Refashionista said...

Well said Pat. Some sort of pain or discomfort has become so much a part of my daily life that most of the time I can ignore it. When I can't I try to take it in stride but my patience with down time is very limited. I do try to plan my life around the next nap or stretch of sleep because it helps me get through the hard times.

Denver Refashionista said...

Thanks for dropping by Lisa. The whole thing does suck but I've already tried the hormone route so perhaps more acupuncture is in my future. Now that I have my own yoga classes to teach I do have a little money so we'll see.