frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Monday, November 24, 2008

Giving Thanks

I am thankful that tomorrow afternoon I get to go on vacation for five days. By this time tomorrow, I'll be packing up to go to California to see my in-laws. It is quite possible I won't be able to get on the blog for a few but I am enormously thankful for the vacation.

Ever since I was a kid we have gone around the table at thanksgiving dinner and each person has named what they are thankful for. Although it is a family tradtion, I have never really liked it before because my responses always seemed forced or aimed at pleasing. This year I feel different. As I try to remember daily and weekly what I am grateful for I just keep thinking of more things.

I am grateful to be part of the family I am going to see. I am grateful that my own family will meet up in one place and tell each other what they are thankful for while they enjoy a "deep fried" or "blackened turkey." I am thankful that nowdays there is a great tofurky for vegetarians so I can really join the festivities. I am also grateful that all signs point towards a work-free vacation.

Above all, I am grateful for all the love and support I get from people in my life. I am thankful for all the little things my friend and department head continually does for me. I am also grateful for the caring of other close colleagues who help me make it successfully through every day. There are not enough ways for me to say how much I appreciate my friends. I often feel regret that I do not offer them more in exchange. I am most grateful for my husband who gives me a reason to get up every day. The caring and support he has shown me over the last few months is unbelievable. I appreciate all the big and small things he does for me every day and I really appreciate the way he continues to listen even when I speak in circles.

I am lucky! I have love. I have comfort and I still have a job. While I cannot clothe the hungry or protect the innocent, I send forth my greatest goodwill and prayers to all those in suffering and need around the world at this moment.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

Good for you............ I will be away for 2 weeks, but wanted to leave this link for you to share with your ms buds. A real i-opener for non-msers. Hopefully you guys can see it.When I get back to the real world again, I will check back in to see how u r doing. Best to you WW. http://www.news4jax.com/video/18054340/index.html

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Have a great visit, and enjoy your family, because that is really what its all about!

Unknown said...

One more thing- the site and link is to a news article about a woman with MS who "handicaps" people with special shoes, a belt, glasses, etc. so they may come to understand what effect Ms has on people. It gave me a perspective so to say on what MS can do to the body. Just so you didn't think it was a "virus" site.

Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Nadja! Enjoy.

Bubbie said...

Have a wonderful holiday!

~Erin~ said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nadja. You're reasons to be thankful are awesome. Sometimes we need to remember all that we already have.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Great list...travel light, my friend. Or at the speed of light...however you choose to travel.

Linda D. in Seattle