frontpage stats
Samsung DVD Burner

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gratitude

One of the things I have been trying to focus on lately is all the great things I have in my life. I was reading in "Yoga Journal" about the positive impact that gratitude can have on ones life. The article stated that people who regularly remind themselves what they are grateful for tend to be more satisfied with life. I can certainly see why this could be the case. When we stop and take the time to remember the great things in our life, they tend to outweigh the negatives. I know this is true for my own life. When I look back at the year before my diagnoses, I see that just about everything I ever dreamed of had fallen into place. Almost all those things are still there so I have a great deal to be grateful for.

In think I need to take the time more regularly to remember how good I really have it so perhaps I'll try to do this more often. Today I am grateful for many things. I am grateful for my mind. I am especially grateful for my loving husband. My pets give me great satisfaction with their unconditional love. I have an awesome, accepting family and most of them are here in Denver. They invite me places and let me be myself. They don't burden me with unrealistic expectations and as I have changed and struggled, they have supported me rather than finding fault in the changes I have gone through.

I have had an amazing education. I get to continually learn and challenge myself with my job, even when it is hard. The things I do at work mean something no matter what. I have caring supportive friends at my job and some kids that I really connect with.

I own my own home! I have a new car. I get to go to yoga and teach it all the time. Even more importantly, I have lots of love from my friends, family, pets and husband.

I listen to the news and I am reminded just how much so many people globally have lost and suffered in recent times, then I look at my little worries and they are nothing. People are constantly losing their jobs and their homes and I still have both. I never want for food or shelter. I get to enjoy small luxuries all the time. While I have small health challenges, overall I am doing great six months after my diagnoses. I have so many reasons to be positive and hopeful about my future. This short journal hardly scratches the surface of just how lucky I am and how much I have to be grateful for. I will have to write more about this again soon.

5 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

That's attitude with gratitude...Spot on!

(And I see my whacky online Yoga for MSers idea may be happening here this summer?!? Woohoo!)

Linda D. in Seattle

Heather said...

What a great idea! I should try to write down at least one thing a day that I am grateful for.

Jen said...

I hope you're feeling a bit better after that news about your student, Nadja. That's tough, but I see your strong soul is surfacing again. You continue to amaze me with your survival skills...Kudos.

Joan said...

I'm grateful that you took the time to chat with me last night. It's always nice to hear from you. THANKS!

Denver Refashionista said...

Thanks to everyone who dropped in to read this.

Chatters, it was lovely as always :)